The Daily Nonpareil: Wings of Hope to host 'Winter at the Beach' event at MAC
Wings of Hope to host ‘Winter at the Beach’ at MAC
By Jon Leu
Feb 6, 2018
Relax, unwind and get into a flip flop state of mind at Wings of Hope Cancer Support Group’s annual fundraiser, “Winter at the Beach” at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 10, at the Mid-America Center.
Carolyn Ettinger, executive director at Wings of Hope, said in a release that more than 250 people are expected to attend the event.
The menu includes beach-themed food stations of coconut shrimp, Huli Huli chicken skewers, crab cakes with pineapple and pepper relish, baked Mahi Mahi, Kalua shredded pork with Hawaiian sweet rolls, tropical fruit and cheesecake with mango topping and lemon tarts with kiwi garnish for dessert.
Guests also can enjoy wine and craft beers, quilt raffle, jewelry raffle, silent and oral auctions and a take a walk on the “beach,” which features photographs of cancer survivors and the Wings of Hope services they utilized during their treatment process.
Items included in the oral auction include:
• Casino Crawl package, complete with Harrah’s Stir Concert Cove tickets and dinner voucher and a free night’s stay at Ameristar
• Mid-America Center Rodeo Experience, complete with suite and 18 tickets
• Valentine’s Day package, complete with hotel stay, dinner at Spencer’s in the Old Market, spa experience and a dozen roses from Bloomworks
• Creighton Men’s Basketball Package for game against Villanova
• Iowa State Package, including a tail-gating grill and Yeti items
• Fajitas & Margaritas dinner for eight people provided by Deb and Pete Petersen
• “Beach Boys and You” dinner for eight people provided by Elaine Fenner
• Weekend Getaway to a cabin on Lake Panorama in Panora
• Booze Wagon
• Diamond Pendant, with 14-karat white gold
• Palm Tree Cooler full of cash
Tickets are $75 per person or $750 for a table of 10. Reservations for the event may be made by calling 712-325-8970 or via the Wings of Hope website, www.wingsofhope.org.